Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What's With These Teachers???

So, some of you may know that this year has definitely been a challenge as far as Aidan's teachers go. She just brought home her 2nd report card of the year the other day and again made straight A's!!! We are so proud of her! She works so hard and Troy and I can be demanding of her sometimes. We try not to be, but it's hard when you see so much potential. She has two teachers; one for reading/language and one for math/science/social studies. At the beginning of the year, the math teacher was very difficult, either because she was inconsistent or because she was being intimidating leading Aidan to believe that she would be in trouble if she asked to use the restroom. After meeting with her and the principal, things have gone a little bit better, I have to admit. But now, it's the reading teacher. When I attended the parent/teacher conference at the beginning of October, things were great. Aidan really enjoyed her class and was getting 100's almost everyday. The teacher told me she was doing "perfect". But then, three days later, the teacher accused Aidan of lying to her about something that Aidan would have no motivation to lie about. The teacher accused her of lying in front of the whole class. Well, of course, Aidan was devistated and ended up bursting into tears after school, and told us what had happened. Long story short...Aidan thought she was asking her about something else and the teacher was not being clear. I went to meet with the teacher the next day and we ended up straightening everything out, but she never apologized to Aidan, which was really crappy since the teacher ended up being the one in the wrong.

Well, according to Aidan, this same teacher says things to the class like...

"put that book away and don't give me that stupid look"
"what, do ya'll think I'm freakin' stupid?"
"I can make your lives miserable" (she said this one yesterday)

My thing is, you don't talk to ANYONE like this, but especially not to children. If you can't control your temper and your attitude, you have no business teaching young kids. This is what we've been dealing with.

Sigh.....sorry about the rant. It just seems to be something new everyday! You know, we're not the type of parents that think our child is perfectly behaved, but I will tell you that she has never been one to lie. I guess my point is that Aidan has been working her little hiney off in school and EARNING her straight A's despite having teachers that really don't care about their students. We have really tried to keep her motivated, positive, and happy, but it's been difficult. These teachers are teaching to a standardized test and not focusing on the learning or on the kids. It's incredibly frustrating.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Awe...Amanda, I'm sorry! I have to agree, why would that type of person even be a teacher? Teachers are suppose to encourage and be someone their students look up to....Aidan is a trooper for keeping her focus and continuing to be such an outstanding student.

I remember ONE teacher in my whole school-age years that was like that. Now looking back, I think she was bipolar. One day she was nice as could be and the next she was flipping out all day. One day she had my back up against the wall yelling so hard in my face that she was spitting all over me, because I told two other girls to be quiet and she thought I was the one talking. Although, I do have to say she was respectful and sent the entire class (including the two girls) to the hall way so I wasn't humiliated! ha, yeah...
Anyway...I hope things are better for Aidan, I dread those days when our little ones are older...